Almost a place of pilgrimage, this was built on the site of Joy Adamson’s original home. It was also the home of Penny, the leopard, the heroine of her last book. Ten sumptuous tents overlook a natural spring where elephant, lion, giraffe and buffalo come to refresh. Each is the ultimate in African chic, decorated as it is with Boran textiles, handmade glass and tribal artefacts.
A large, raised verandah allows guests space and privacy for relaxation as well as close-to-home game-viewing, although excursions are of course also offered into the reserve.
Shaba National Reserve, Kenya
- Game drives
- Guided bush walks
- Swimming pool
- Massage area
- Joy Adamson museum
An historic property set in the Shaba National Reserve, this is the site of Joy Adamson’s original home. Whilst the wildlife viewing here is very rewarding the days can also be spent enjoying a massage or visiting the onsite Joy Adamson museum. A new flight link means that a stay here can easily be combined with a safari in the Masai Mara.
- Swimming Pool
- Fresh homemade breads and pastas, traditional Italian risottos, and fresh organic salads await you at this chic boutique camp in Shaba.
- During lunchtime, gaze over the camp’s neighbouring lush springs teaming with elephant, buffalo and other plains game. After nightfall, while enjoying dinner, you will look out over the floodlit springs, where lion and other predators take advantage of the early evening darkness to hunt.
- At Joy’s Camp guests dine individually (unlike some of our other tented camps, where dining is communal).
- Private romantic dinners can also be arranged on request.
- General mealtimes are as follows:
- Breakfast 06.30-09.30
- Lunch 13.00-14.00
- Dinner 20.00 – 21.30
Joy’s Camp is happy to cater to special diets such as vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, etc. Please make sure your agent informs us well in advance though, so that the camp managers can prepare for your arrival. Each morning the camp’s daily menu is displayed in the bar.
Each of the 10 sumptuous tents is uniquely decorated with handmade glass and the vibrant fabrics of the local nomadic tribes creating a chic, sophisticated and stylish camp. Each tent has breathtaking views of the surrounding hills, with its own private veranda – ideal for game viewing as well as relaxing, reading and soaking up the truly wild environs offered by Shaba.
Joy’s Camp boasts a chic Boran style, with bright and uniquely modern tents.
Each tent is 100 m sq:
- 10 en-suite cream tents
- 7 doubles and 3 twin tents
- Each tent is 100m sq and consists of a large main bedroom, with en suite bathroom (stone floors, flush loo, hot running water and shower), and large veranda with seating area.
- All tents can fit two extra beds, to accommodate children under the age of 16yrs only. Maximum is 5 extra beds in camp at any one time
- Game drives
- Guided walks
- Bush Breakfast & Sundowners
- Spa Treatments
- Cultural Visits
- Wedding & Honeymoons