Tuningi Safari Lodge
Tunungi Safari Lodge is one of the best options for visitors looking for a family friendly safari in Madikwe, but it is also well suited for those travelling without children. The spacious suites are far enough apart to retain a feeling of privacy, whilst still being nice and close to the main lodge. All suites have their own private terraces looking out over the reserve, the perfect spot for some ad-hoc afternoon game viewing. Little Tuningi also offers a great escape for larger groups who are looking for privacy.
The main part of the lodge is made up of a huge covered lounge area which leads into the bar, with a large sun terrace and swimming pool attached. Lunches are often served out on the terrace and it is a superb place to relax. The terrace also leads to the beautifully appointed boma, where evening meals are served.
The guides and hosts are truly fantastic, making guests of all ages feel wonderfully welcome whilst helping them to get the most out of their trip. Guides can offer dedicated family safaris, so as to keep children engaged whilst not taking them out for too long. Overall, a fantastic lodge and one of our favourites.
Madikwe Game Reserve
- Fantastic for seeing African Wild Dog, Rhino and Elephant
- Easy access from Johannesburg, just a short light aircraft flight or 4 hour drive
- Perfect for families - Madikwe is malaria free so no need to take any tablets
- Family friendly lodge, family rooms and dedicated guides are available
- Little Tuningi is great for larger families or parties of adults looking for exclusivity
Tuningi is in ideal option for families, either in their rooms at the main lodge or Little Tuningi. The whole set up is very family friendly, with dedicated guides, chefs and hosts all there to make this a true family experience.
Tuningi Safari Lodge
- Swimming Pool
Tuningi is renowned for it's superb food, with breakfasts and lunches all served on the large open terrace by the swimming pool or in the covered lounge area. Weather permitting, evening meals are served in the boma, which has an open side so is great for watching some nocturnal animals whilst you enjoy one of the lodge's delicious meals.
With just 4 Luxury Suites and 2 Double Family Suites, Tuningi retains a fantastic personal feel to it. The suites are all very spacious, comfortable and have large bathrooms. They all have a decking area out the front, hidden from view from other suites so a perfect spot to relax in the afternoons.
Little Tuningi hosts up to 6 adults on a private basis and offers it's own pool, boma and dining area.
- Morning and afternoon game drives
- Bush walks
Children over five years are able to join their parents and the rest of the guests on daily game drives, while children below five are taken out on their own on shorter adventures which Tunungi Safari Lodge call ‘Bumbles’.
When it comes to accommodation, Tunungi Safari Lodge is more than accommodating with the Luxury Suite and Family Suite at Little Tuningi which are complemented by a private pool and mini outdoor boma (for outdoor meals around the fire). Little Tuningi’s Luxury Suite accommodates 2 adults, while the Family Suite accommodates either 2 adults and 2 children or 4 adults. These two Suites can be booked on an exclusive basis as a Private Camp, or they can be booked as part of the Main Lodge.
- Game Drives & Kiddies Bumbles
- Treasure hunt to find nests, bones, eggs, snakes skins and other items
- Enlightening educational talks
- T-shirt painting with animal stencils
- Clay building competitions
- Tracing of tracks around the waterhole
- Animal Activity Record Books
- Private boma dinner with stories - kids get to make their own treats
- A tent set up in the garden for children to play in
- Fun cooking with the Chef
- Kids activity booklet which include games, mazes and colouring-in activities
- Bush Experience Certificates
- Drawing, clay modelling, puzzle building
- Swimming and relaxing by the pool
- Watching the animals at the waterhole