South Luangwa National Park
Whether you are an experienced safari-goer or on your first adventure to Africa, you will be blown away by the majesty of the South Luangwa National Park, which is fast becoming the place to go for the best game viewing on the continent. The park takes its name from the Luangwa River which flows along the eastern boundary of the park, providing year round water to the game and a spectacular river front location for many of the lodges. The South Luangwa's development from former playground of the big game hunters to one of Africa's leading conservation areas has been remarkable and it offers consistent sightings of the iconic lion, elusive leopard and the beautiful but endangered African wild dog.
The beauty of the South Luangwa lies, not only in the animals that you can see, but in the variety of ways that you can see these animals. It was the pioneering region for walking safaris, when former hunter Norman Carr (who created the group of lodges of the same name) wanted to take his visitors to see the animals in as natural a way as possible. The consequence of this is the area now boasts Africa's best trained guides for taking you on guided walks, meaning you get up close to a huge variety of animals which makes for a truly extraordinary experience. You are always accompanied by both a guide and an armed scout, meaning the guide can fully dedicate themselves to your experience, whilst the scout keeps watch and keeps you safe! Game drives are naturally a big part of your time here and, in season, you will be able to enjoy boat trips along the Luangwa River getting a totally different perspective on the animals that you see.
Another great draw of the South Luangwa is the variety of accommodation that it offers, with options to suit all visitors, but without being overcrowded with lodges. For those looking for true luxury, Chinzombo is a wonderful option, and is complimented by some wonderful rustic bushcamps such as Luwi and Kakuli. Families looking for privacy will be charmed by Robin's House and Luangwa Safari House, whilst Flatdogs is a great option for those looking to meet other families and share their safari adventures.
However you wish to explore the South Luangwa please let us know and we will recommend the perfect camp (or camps) for you to make the experience as perfect as possible. It truly is one of the best safari experiences in Africa and one that we cannot recommend highly enough.
Wildlife: Lion, Leopard, Elephant, Buffalo, Wild Dog, Hippo, Serval, Striped Jackal, Puku, Roan, Sable, Reedbuck
Book Your South Luangwa National Park Holiday Today. Call us on 020 7843 3500 or Enquire here
- Walking safaris - this is the home of the walking safari and an experience not to be missed
- The area offers some of the best leopard sightings in Africa and also an excellent chance of seeing the endangered African wild dog
- When water levels permit many lodges offer boat cruises along the Luangwa River which is a stunning way for you to see the park from a different perspective
- Enjoy some fantastic mobile camping trails in the north-eastern part of the park - walking between a new campsite that is prepared for you every night
- June to October: Regarded as Safari Season, when the dry, cool conditions make it ideal for game viewing, especially for the predators for which the South Luangwa is so well known. The mornings and evenings can be cool so take a good jacket on your activities with you. The ideal time of year for walking, even through the heat of the day
- November to May: Known as Secret Season in the park, this is becoming an increasingly popular time to visit, with more and more camps now open all year round. This is the time of year when you can enjoy boat safaris and it is ideal for birding enthusiasts. It still allows for good predator sightings as well, although you generally have to work a little harder to find them
- An increasing number of lodges are now open in Green Season (November to May) which is still a fantastic time to visit the park and much quieter. You will also be able to enjoy river safaris at this time of year which is a wonderful experience
- If you are looking for a true South Luangwa experience, you should look to combine one of the more rustic bushcamps in the north-eastern corner of the park that focus on walking safaris before heading further south to enjoy one of the more luxury lodges where game drives tend to be the order of the day
- Each year Robin Pope Safaris offer a number of specialist safari weeks, including Photography Safaris, joining a Carnivore research team or the chance to see the Kasanka Bat Migration. Please ask us for further details and dates
- Families looking to have a safari and beach break can easily combine the South Luangwa with a trip to Lake Malawi for their beach time. Daily flights from Mfuwe to Lilongwe mean they can be easily combined and this makes for a great combination for families
Days: 12 | From: £6,009 per person based on Two SharingZambia has so much to offer, especially when it comes to safari. Which is why we've created (what we think is) the perfect safari schedule for unspoilt game viewing. Move across Zambia to three different luxury and unique properties with plenty to indulge in. A tip from us - Africa on foot ...
Days: 13 | From: £7,345 per person based on sharingThis itinerary will take you all over the beautiful country of Zambia. Starting in the South Luangwa National Park, which is renowned for its walking safaris, allows visitors to view elephant, hippo and even lion close-up. Moving on to Kafue National Park, Zambia's biggest and oldest n...
Days: 8 | From: £5,650 per person based on per person sharingThe Luangwa Valley, which marks the end of the Great Rift Valley, is one of the last unspoilt wilderness areas and possibly the finest wildlife sanctuary in Africa. It covers an area of over 9000 sq. km. through which the meandering Luangwa River runs. The ox bow lagoons, woodland and plains of the ...
Days: 13 | From: £7,995 per person based on two people sharingSee the best of Zambia and Zimbabwe whilst on this exclusive 13-day luxury safari. Along the way you will get to stay at some truly exceptional properties, enjoy incredible game viewing and witness the majesty and power of the Victoria Falls. A truly once in a lifetime holiday.Brief O...
Why book with us
Why choose us?
- Best price guarantee
- First hand knowledge
- 100% Tailor-made
- Unbiased advice
- Local contacts world-wide
- Exclusive deals
- We offer 24 hour emergency assistance, providing peace of mind
- Offices in both the UK & South Africa
Our value promise
- Whether you seek a spectacular safari holiday, a blissful beach break, a cultural escapade, or something else entirely, there is no one better equipped to deal with your requests than Africa Travel. With over 30 years of experience in crafting bespoke itineraries, we know exactly what it takes to make your next African adventure special and always go above and beyond to exceed expectations.
Our first-hand experience combines with our careful attention to detail and unquenchable passion for all things Africa to ensure that we deliver the perfect holiday every time, get in touch today to begin planning yours.
Your Holiday Protection
- All the flights and flight-inclusive holidays on this website are financially protected by the ATOL scheme. Our ATOL number is 3384. For more information about financial protection and the ATOL Certificate go to: www.atol.org.uk/ATOLCertificate.
Speak to an Africa Travel Expert
- All our African holidays are bespoke experiences, tailored to your unique requirements. For more details call 020 7843 3500 or enquire here.