Famed and loved for its lake – the ninth largest in the world, and dubbed the lake of stars by David Livingstone.
Lake Malawi sits at the southern end of the Rift Valley and provides a fantastic playground for all with its superb beaches and great fishing. Also home to some 500 varieties of the tropical cichlid fish, at night everyone can see what Livingstone meant as the lake lights up with the reflection of millions of stars, and in December another spectacle is on view as its shores become home to a myriad of different species of orchid. The country also offers magnificent scenery – forests, mountains, vast plains – as well as well as a number of archaeological and anthropological sites where fossils, Iron Age workings and rock paintings can be seen. There is also great game-viewing to be enjoyed in the Liwonde National Park and Majete Wildlife Reserve.
Book Your Malawi Holiday Today. Call us on 020 7843 3500 or Enquire here.
- Take a catamaran across Lake Malawi
- Sample the tea estates
- Visit St Peter’s Cathedral on Likoma Island
- Dive amongst the tropical fish
- Spot elephant in the Liwonde
- National Park
- Green season – December to May (turns mild at the end)
- Cool dry season – June to August
- Hot dry season – September to October
- November – It could swing either way as it transitions from the dry to green season.
- Hyena, Buffalo, Black Rhino, Zebra, Birds, Many tropical fish are endemic to Malawi
- Capital – Lilongwe
- Currency – Malawi Kwacha
- Point of Entry – Lilongwe, Blantyre
- Airlines – South African Airways via Johannesburg, Kenya Airways via Nairobi
- Flying Time – 2 hours 20 minutes from Johannesburg or Nairobi
- Time Zone – GMT +2
- A 75 USD entry fee will be effective from 01 July 2015 for UK and other Schengen country members for entry to Malawi
- Medical Requirements – Malaria prophylaxis recommended
- Pack little gifts such as pens & notepads – the local schools will be highly appreciative
- Consider adding a Zambian safari to a Malawian beach stay – the two are only a short flight apart
- Forget taking the Lake Malawi ferry – the schedule is often ‘flexible’ and the cabins very basic
- Do consider a self-drive holiday – a number of the roads have recently been upgraded and it is difficult to get lost.
- Book early as international flights into Lilongwe and Blantyre are limited
When to go
- The Lake of Stars Music Festival is normally held in September or October
- The national parks are often not accessible in January & February
- The best beach weather is from May to October
Days: 11 | From: £3,795 per person based on two sharingYou want to relax beach side but also want to thrive in the African bush experience? Then Malawi is the perfect spot for you. This ‘off-the-beaten-track’ itinerary will combine the hearty Malawi bush as well as the lapping up the shores. And all mixed in with luxurious acc...
Days: 14 | From: £3,995 per person based on two sharingCovering the major highlights of Malawi – from the picturesque Zomba Plateau and Liwonde National Park’s wildlife, to the golden beaches of Lake Malawi – this trip offers the traveller the opportunity to really immerse themselves in this fascinating destination.
Days: 15 | From: £6,495 per person based on sharingThis wonderful itinerary combines two of Zambia’s most iconic regions, the stunning Victoria Falls and game rich South Luangwa National Park as well as some time to relax on the shores of beautiful Lake Malawi. With unashamedly luxurious accommodation used throughout, you will be incredibly we...
Why book with us
Why choose Africa Travel?
- Best price guarantee
- First hand knowledge
- 100% Tailor-made
- Unbiased advice
- Local contacts world-wide
- Exclusive deals
- We offer 24 hour emergency assistance, providing peace of mind
- Offices in both the UK & South Africa
Our value promise
- Whether you seek a spectacular safari holiday, a blissful beach break, a cultural escapade, or something else entirely, there is no one better equipped to deal with your requests than Africa Travel. With over 30 years of experience in crafting bespoke itineraries, we know exactly what it takes to make your next African adventure special and always go above and beyond to exceed expectations.
Our first-hand experience combines with our careful attention to detail and unquenchable passion for all things Africa to ensure that we deliver the perfect holiday every time, get in touch today to begin planning yours.
Your Holiday Protection
- All the flights and flight-inclusive holidays on this website are financially protected by the ATOL scheme. Our ATOL number is 3384. For more information about financial protection and the ATOL Certificate go to: www.atol.org.uk/ATOLCertificate.
Speak to an Africa Travel Expert
- All our African holidays are bespoke experiences, tailored to your unique requirements. For more details call 020 7843 3500 or enquire here.